Telling Stories Tuesday: Lady Bug's Birth Story

Today’s Telling Stories Tuesdays is from me!  I figured why not join in the fun and write about Lady Bug’s birth.  I had posted this shortly after she was born.  Enjoy!

June 16th, Thursday morning came.  I woke up to wet PJ bottoms and I thought Well, this is a familiar scene.  It was the same scenario 2 years and 7 months ago.  A full moon, wet pajamas and lots of pressure.  I knew what it was so I calmly told my husband, Ben, “Um, I’m pretty sure my water’s leaking.”  And it was.
After calling all the appropriate people – my parents, Ben’s dad and our good family friends from church to have them come and pick up our son, Br, we left for the hospital.  We arrived at the hospital around 9:30am.  I was checked into a triage room to run the test to see if my water had broken.  After a little bit and the nurse said, “Hmm…maybe it wasn’t your water?” I responded with, “Well, if it wasn’t then there is something seriously wrong with my bladder b/c I’m leaking all over the place!”  The test came up positive and we were admitted to our delivery room.
Birth photo. pouty lip
Thankfully I didn’t have back labor with my Lady Bug; I did with Buggie.  Let me tell you, back labor is TEN TIMES worse than normal labor.  I got an epidural and it was surprisingly not pleasant!  I didn’t remember that at all with Buggie b/c all of my contractions were in my back.  I distinctly remember having to try and hold still during a contraction so they could put the epidural in.  Not the case with Lady Bug.  Aside from feeling every part of the epidural, the laboring part of Lady Bug’s birth were not bad.  At one point towards the beginning, I felt like I was going to either throw up or pass out and at the same time Lady Bug’s heart rate was skyrocketing to 190. The nurse gave me some IV fluids and instantly I felt better.  Lady Bug’s heart rate slowed down too.  The only problem was that the decision had been made to start pitocin so we could get her out.
My handsome hubby with his new baby girl!
From about 11am to noon I relaxed, well I tried to.  I was starving!  No food when you’re in labor at a hospital.  Rats.  My nurse, Jane, came in at noon and checked me and I was only dilated to a three. The party got started as soon as she left!  I started feeling tons of pressure and became very uncomfortable.  After about 20 minutes I couldn’t stand it any more so I called Jane and asked her to come because I either needed to go to the bathroom or the time to push was coming quickly.  Jane came back and I had gone from a three to a seven in 20 minutes!  She called my doctor who came running in after ten minutes, meanwhile, I was clutching the rails of the bed trying to wait!  She threw her coat on the floor and I started pushing.  After about three sets of pushes and one plea that I couldn’t do it any more, Lady Bug was born!
First night in the SCN
The rest of the story gets very long and complicated.  Basically because the labor and delivery was so fast, Lady Bug didn’t spend enough time in the birth canal to squeeze the excess fluid out of her lungs.  She was making this sweet sound like she was singing immediately after she was born.  Let me tell you, even though it sounds sweet it isn’t!  It’s what they call grunting and it means that the baby is having difficulty breathing.  Around 3pm, after trying to nurse Lady Bug, the lactation consultant who was helping me decided to take Lady Bug down to the nursery so they could look at her.  It was then that Lady Bug was admitted into the Special Care Nursery and stayed there for five days.
It was a long, long hospital stay – five day.  I can’t begin to tell you how sad it was to see my baby girl hooked up to tons of wires and monitors.  What happened to Lady Bug were these things:
  • Quick L&D = fluid in lungs
  • Elevated C-Reactive Protein (CRP) levels = this means that Lady Bug either had an infection her little body was fighting off OR the stress from the L&D had made her body go into fight mode.  It was later determined by her neonatologist that she didn’t have an infection.
  • Jaundice = Her bilirubin level wasn’t incredibly high, however, it was of some concern for the docs considering everything else that was going on.  I also learned that my husband and I combined create jaundice prone babies.
3 Days Old and the first day she was allowed to be in our room with us.

Now, seven month later, Lady Bug is the perfect picture of health now.  From the beginning she’s been an awesome little breastfeeder which has been such an amazing experience.  My son, Buggie, was not good at it at all and we struggled for 12 weeks to get it right.

Sharing is caring!Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someone

Elizabeth "Bert" Anderson is a stay-at-home mom of three living outside of the Twin Cities in Rogers. She's the author behind the blog First Time Mom, where she honestly chronicles the peaks and valleys of parenting. Even though she has more than one child, Bert maintains that whether you have one child or five, there's a first time for everything. She's a lover of cloth diapers, pop culture, healthy living and fitness.

Tagged with: ,
Posted in birth story, Telling Stories Tuesdays
  • T’s Mommy

    You look so pretty in the picture of you First night in the SCN.


Featured On

Proud to be a part of

Twin Cities Moms Blog Contributor


affiliate link

Disclosure Policy